Saturday, October 30, 2010

Creative Costumes

This is a great example of Mom's brilliance and ingenuity. I was so impressed by the way she made the hat and the hook out of a metal juice lid and hanger. What creative genius! I'm so bereft--it's truly a great benefit to blessed with a creative mother and a creative daughter.

The little competitor in me was crushed in 3rd grade when my lovely pink princess dress (that my amazing mother sewed for me) failed to secure me a Wilson Halloween costume award. I can still remember mom consoling me and explaining that creativity was the ticket. I went on to win the most creative costume award at Manzanita School for the next four years and the scariest costume award my 8th grade year (when my "peanut, peanut butter, jelly" costume feel apart right in front of the judges--I didn't have too much competition--it wasn't "the thing" to still dress up when you were in 8th grade back in the day--Erica Gallardo won most creative that year for her Fruit of the Loom inspired grape cluster costume--she was covered in purple balloons with an awesome green stem hat). I don't remember any of the other costumes except the one that won me my first prize--my 4th grade tombstone costume. I remember mom had painted 1971-20??. It kind of freaked me out. I lived in mortal fear of not living until the 21st century. It was a happy moment at 12:00a.m. 2000, when I realized the tombstone prediction would be fulfilled. Silly.
These classic Red Suspender's Day award-winning costumes show off Mom's sewing and artistic flair.

5 comments:

  1. You look so cute! Is that my Dougie next to you? I love homemade costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a compliment to be mistaken for Anne! This is a picture of Anne and Bob, but thank you Charmayne for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that I am the only one that remembers that balloon. When I saw that picture I had this memory of how special I felt with that awesome costume and holding the coolest most 80's balloon ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol~Doug is dying-the bonnet's through me off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne--that's SO funny. I totally remembered that balloon! I was remembering how cool I thought it was.

    ReplyDelete